Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Feeding those in need

You may have received a copy of this email.

After I left work today I went to a very sacred place. While I was sitting alone thinking of my life and how difficult things are right now I started to pray. In my prayer I asked for guidance in
certain aspects of my life and asked what Heavenly Father wanted me to do. As I was leaving, I thought of a way that I could make a difference in the lives of a few of my less fortunate neighbors. I got in my car and made a few phone calls. I was able to get a deal worked out with a local restaurant that will make a small meal for $1.65 each. I then called the local women’s shelter to see how many women might need a meal. After talking with the shelter director for a few minutes on the phone she asked how many people I could feed. I asked her to give me until Friday the 19th to see how much money I could gather to feel the residence of the battered women’s shelter, the Road House, and the teen shelter. All in all we are looking at a few hundred people.

I can’t feed all these people myself and this is where you come in. At $1.65 per meal I need $660.00 to feed 400 people. If you can please send any multiple of $1.65. This meal will be provided on June 24th.

When you forward this to family and friends please attach a personal note, and let them know that you know me, not that you know of me.

Please email me for my address to send a check or you can go to www.PayPal.com
and click on “Send Money” to hawkesnest@hotmail.com

Again this meal is on the 24th and I only have until the end of the 19th to give a number to the
shelter so please have your letters post marked by the 17th.

The response that I have gotten has been amazing. The first day I had almost $800.00 and several emails of people that said a check was in the mail. On the 2nd day I called the shelter and let the director know what was happening and she asked me to contact the shelters coordinator to work the rest out because it had gotten so big.

I worked with a local printing company to see if they could print out 900 coupons and after I told the manager what I was doing he offered to print them for only his cost of material. Unfortunately for him the Restaurant was able to print all that we needed, but I hope that he is equally blessed for his willingness to help me out.

Between then and know I have been able to work with the Restaurant, the YWCA, and the Road House to figure out all the details. The restaurant is within the "FREE FARE" zone for our local bus company so everyone at the Road House can get there and the YWCA shelter is just a short walk away.

It has now been 13 days from the first email and I have been able to collect almost $1500.00 and have purchased over 900 vouchers for free meals.

Thank you to those who donated.

Doug E.
Steve K.
Mark G.
Jeff B.
Christian D.
Kathy W.
Marney G.
Randy H.
Lynley T.
Kathy S.
Jamie M.
Conrad J.
Ginny W.
Ivanna H.
Denise E.
Carlyn F.
Graig D.
Lyn H.
Nancy C.
Mike G.
Joyce H.
Natalee R.
Lidsay C.
Suzanne S.
Eileen C.
Bobby J.
Kerry H.
Mary T.
Shelly G.
Sellie W.
Marci H.
Sharon D.
Michael A.
Deidrea P.
Balylee H.
Melissa C.
Kyler H.

No comments:

Post a Comment